I am super guilty of eating unhealthy snacks. Often times, for convenience reasons, I would pick up a fried or a sugary snack I found at home like chips, chocolates, cookies, crisps, you name it!
When you are in the middle of work during a weekday and feel like you need to power yourself, it's so easy to fall into the trap. Isn't it? Do you feel like you have been there?
I wanted to get out of this rut, I was not happy with my snacking habits. I realized that it was just out of convenience that I was snacking like I was.
Keeping the convenience factor in mind, I designed a quick 5 minute recipe that will make enough to power you through a work week. And, you know what's great about it? It's got NO added sugar and is full of fibre and won't spike your insulin levels as a sugary fibre-less snack would do.
Here is the recipe:
- 1.5 cups dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dried figs
- 2 tsp crushed pistachio
- 1 tbsp cacao power (optional)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- In a food processor, add the cacao powder, dates, oats and figs, and pulse until the mixture sticks together.
- Add the walnuts and sunflower seeds, and just pulse it 2-3 times. Make sure you don't over-pulse to completely crush them, we need them to have a bite
- Take the mixture out in a parchment lined spring foam pan (or any other cake tin)
- Freeze for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Cut into circular shapes with a cookie cutter or just use a knife and cut into strips or squares
- Drizzle the crushed pistachio on top
This will keep in the fridge for up-to a week.
There you go. This recipe is
- Gluten Free
- No added sugar
- High in fibre
- High in good fats
- Convenient to make
- Keeps up-to 1 week in the fridge
Some shots of the process so get an idea of each step
If you try this recipe, let us know in the comments. And, don’t forget to tag a photo @plant_astic_food on Instagram.
🌐 To receive unique and delicious plant based recipes, sign up for our newsletter. We stay away from spamming!